Over the last few years, we have extended our market presence in Kenya, specifically with our beans. Bakker Brothers has been specializing in beans for nearly a 100 years. Our breeding department selects its beans based on market need and demands for hot & dry and hot & wet areas. Kenya is a hot & wet area where farmers are able to grow beans year-round.
Our bestselling bean varieties in Kenya are Caledonia, Catalina and Elba. These three varieties comply with Kenya’s market demands for beans:
- Very fine (6,5-8,0 mm) or extra fine (5,0-6,5 mm) beans are the desired segments
- Pod length needs to be 14cm
- Maturity from germination to first harvest needs to be 55-65 days
- Disease package must include Rust, Anthracnose and Halo Blight
- Suitable for year-round production
- Easy to hand harvest
- Continuous setting suitable for multi-harvest picks
Of these three varieties, Caledonia and Elba are for the very fine segment and Catalina is for the extra fine segment. All are suitable for both the fresh market and the processing industry.